Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shift Happens?

Shift Happens, what an interesting use of words. After viewing the video at http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/06/did-you-know-20.html, I definitely do want to join in the conversation. The facts and statistics in the eight minute video were rather astounding. To think that technology is growing that quickly. It is hard to wrap your mind around that fact. I am 33 years old and I can remember when the first chat rooms started on the Internet. I remember being in California and talking with many people around the world from many different countries all at the same time. You had to be a quick with typing just to keep up with the chats. Now texting on your cell phone is the big thing. I'm still a holdout on that one. I also had a Myspace page as recently as last year. It is amazing that your entire life can now be on the computer screen at a place like Myspace and your life can be public for the whole world to view. Kind of sobering also. Makes you want to be careful about what you say and what you post. We very much have to teach our children to live and function in the world that is unfolding around them everyday. The way is here and that way is a future full of technological wonders.

I do believe though that to much tech can be a bad thing. I deleted my Myspace and got rid of many of my multiple e-mail accounts. I had become so wired, as they say, that I had forgotten what it was like to stop and loose myself in a good book for awhile. It is easy to be overwhelmed by all the information that is at your finger tips. It would be wise to teach our children to deal we the informational overload stress that will goes hand-in-hand with our technological advances. Our children are going to have to balance their lives so they do not leave their social abilities behind. As we teach our children how to get plugged in we must also teach them how to get unplugged as well. The future is going to be a challenging place and we do need to prepare or children for all aspects of it. Now go check out the video and get involved in the conversation!



1 comment:

  1. Excellent thoughts on this subject.
    But will this generation be willing to "unplug", even for a little while?

    ReplyDelete