Sunday, February 8, 2009

To Tech or Not To Tech?

After reading the post on The Fishbowl, http://thefischbowl.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-it-okay-to-be-technologically.html, about whether or not teachers should be tech savvy, I really began to understand more completely both sides of the story. Technology is here to stay and no one is disputing that fact. I personally have been involved with tech since I was a small child. I actually had a Texas Instrument gaming system. My parents were too cheap to get us an Atari. The T.I. was like a knock off imitation of Atari. Instead of conquering Pack Man I was battling through level after level of Munch Man. Then, as per the order of natural progression, I graduated to each progressive system as they emerged. I also remember the first Apple computers being introduced to the classrooms. Green screens anyone? I also understand there where still some schools using Apple II computers as recently as 4 to 5 years ago! Unthinkable I know, but when you consider that most of the worlds population does not even have access to computers on a regular basis, Apple IIs are not so bad.

As for the Fishbowl post, I am divided over the issue. While I see that there is a growing divide between some teachers and their students I do not see how that inhibits education. Take math for example, somehow the knowledge of math was learned and mastered in times past where computers did not exist. The masters of math were intelligent enough to figure out things in their heads. Now students are given calculators to do the heavy computing. I am thankful for these devices, one of them got me through PreCalculus, but what happens when we stop expanding of brains because we depend on technology to do the hard work for us. My life has been interwoven with technology since I was small and I use technology all the time, but I love the feeling that I get when I solve a problem on my own with my own mind. While it is true that some teachers are tech illiterate, I really do not see that as a weakness nor a drawback. Students will learn from a variety of sources around them and their teachers should facilitate this learning. A lot of times the teacher and the students learn from each other and I believe that this is true of technology. What we know today will be different tomorrow. Teachers and students must and will learn together. To equate not being literate with technology to being unable to read or write is somewhat biased. I would submit that technology could very well render students illiterate in writing sills. Given enough time with texting and using keyboards to type we could very well lose the ability to write with pen and paper. Ultimately, as with all things, I believe that things will continue to be balanced. Most children experience tech at home and outside the classrooms on a regular basis. If teachers will teach and educate their students with the resources at their disposal our children will be just fine. And eventually those teachers that may be holdouts against technology will either retire or get on board. Progress will always move us forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment